Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hello Childhood.




I fancy myself a curious lady. I ask questions, a lot. Over the years, my friends have just grown to accept that about me. The questions are not really the "If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" sort (although I don't mind that one so much), but more hypothetical non-realities, that I wish were realities, so I ask about them. For ex: If Cast Away actually happened to you, but before the crash you could grab one book and a lifetime's supply of one food, what would you bring? Also, you can only eat this food. That's it, no coconuts, no fish from the barrier island reefs, just this food (I find my questions often need clarification). Most of the time, I myself don't know my response before I ask them.

It just so happens that this is one of the few questions I have an answer to..... were I stranded on a desert island, I would bring an original illustrated copy of Alice in Wonderland and peanut butter.

What does all of this have to do with the picture and video above? Well truthfully not a whole lot, BUT it is one example of how much I love children's literature. Like I seriously love it. So, in honor of my building excitement for Spike Jonze's release of Where the Wild Things Are, i'm dedicating this week on the blog to all of my favorite children's books and illustrations. This is like spirit week in high school, but way better. Anybody who has favorites please feel free to share.

No comments: